FHA Loans: Purchase And Refinance Loan Requirements For 2022
FHA loans are available for people with credit scores of 580 or higher and down payments as low as 3.5%. This makes FHA loans more accessible than other mortgages.
Who Are FHA Loans Best For?
FHA home loans are a great option for people whose credit scores are 580 and higher, and who have at least a 3.5% down payment. These more lenient financial qualifications make FHA loans a popular option for first-time home buyers, though you don’t need to be a first-time buyer to qualify.
How Do FHA Loans Work?
FHA mortgages are insured by the Federal Housing Administration (FHA).
The FHA protects lenders against defaults on payments. This makes it easier for you to qualify and allows lenders to offer lower interest rates.
What Are The Qualifications For An FHA Loan?
To qualify for an FHA loan, you’ll need:
- A minimum 3.5% down payment.
- A minimum FICO® Score of 580.
- A debt-to-income ratio (DTI) of no more than 50% and a steady employment history. Estimate your DTI by adding your monthly debt payments (such as credit card and car payments) and dividing the total by your monthly income before taxes.
- Money to cover the upfront mortgage insurance premium (UFMIP). The amount is usually equal to 1.75% of your loan amount.
- Money to cover closing costs, which could be anywhere from 2 – 6% of the purchase price.
Take the first step toward the right Quicken Mortgage®.
FHA Mortgage Rates
|FHA 30 Year Fixed||4.99%||6.043%|
|FHA 25 Year Fixed||5%||6.173%|
|FHA 15 Year Fixed||4.875%||6.21%|
FHA Loan Benefits
- Credit score requirements are lower compared to other loans.
- You could still qualify for an FHA loan if you’ve had a bankruptcy or other financial issues in the past.
- FHA loans are available with fixed or adjustable rates and for 30- or 15-year terms.
- FHA loans have low down payment requirements. You can put down as little as 3.5%.
Refinancing with an FHA loan has some great benefits, too:
- Borrowers can roll closing costs into their loans.
- If you’ve already got an FHA loan, you can refinance with an FHA Streamline. Less documentation is required for this option, and you may not need an appraisal. The FHA Streamline is a good option if you’re not looking to take cash out.
FHA Property Requirements
- Your loan can’t exceed the loan amount limits in your area. The FHA's limit for lower-cost areas is set at $420,680 in 2022. In high-cost areas, the limit for 2022 is $970,800. Look up the loan limits in your area.
- The home must meet the FHA’s minimum property standards for safety, security and structural integrity.
- When buying a home, you’ll need to move in within 60 days of closing.
- The property must be your primary residence. Investment properties and second homes don’t qualify for FHA loans.
Why Choose Quicken Loans
Recommended Next Steps
Find The Answers You Need
Visit our Learning Center, where we break down the mortgage process so it’s easier to understand.
Calculate What You Can Afford
Get an estimate on how much home you can afford, the down payment you’ll need and what your monthly payment could be.
Lock Your Rate
With Rocket Mortgage® by Quicken Loans®, start your mortgage application right away by answering just a few basic questions about your goals.