You’ve heard it before: breakfast is the most important meal of the day – especially if you have a long and stressful workday ahead! A sizeable, healthy breakfast will provide the fuel and sustenance that your brain and body need to be productive throughout the day.
Grabbing a pastry or a bowl of sugary cereal will only lead to a quick sugar crash and feelings of drowsiness and irritation. It’s important to incorporate protein and healthy fats into your regular breakfast in order to provide long-lasting energy and avoid distracting cravings.
A study published by the American Journal of Clinical Nutrition found that eating a high-protein breakfast has been shown to reduce the consumption of foods with high fat and sugar later in the day. Some people believe they do not have time for breakfast, but skipping breakfast is shown to reduce brain activity responsible for controlling food cravings. Starting a long workday without proper fuel may prevent you from working to your fullest potential. It may also lead to weight gain from increased cravings and subsequent consumption of fatty and sugary foods.
A healthy, proper breakfast doesn’t need to be complicated or take up precious seconds in the morning rush to work. Sprouted grain or 100% whole wheat toast with avocado and a poached egg is an excellent way to start your day. It requires few ingredients and just a few minutes to make. Sprouted grain or 100% whole wheat bread is high in fiber, which will keep you feeling fuller, longer. Avocado contains essential fatty acids that keep your brain functioning at its best, without adding extra inches to your waistline, when consumed in moderation. Eggs are an excellent source of protein and contain several essential nutrients and amino acids.
Try this easy, Savorfull breakfast to keep you feeling full and focused at work!
Avocado Toast with a Poached Egg
Cook Time: 5–6 minutes Serving Size: 1
- 1 large egg
- ½ ripe avocado
- 1 slice of whole grain bread
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp vinegar
- Salt, pepper and red pepper flakes for topping
- Fill pan with 2–3 inches of water and add a pinch of salt and vinegar to the water. Bring to a medium simmer.
*TIP: Use a deeper sauté pan instead of a saucepan.
- Crack the egg in a separate cup or bowl.
- Once water is at a medium simmer (just before boil) begin making a whirlpool in the water with a wooden spoon.
- Release the egg into the center of the whirlpool in the water.
*TIP: Do not touch the water once the egg has been dropped in.
- Turn off the heat and cover the pot.
*TIP: Do not touch the pot or the cover. This will disturb the cooking of the egg.
- After about 5–6 minutes, remove the egg from the water with a ladle.
- Lightly pat down the egg with paper towel to remove excess water.
- Toast one slice of bread.
- Cut avocado in half (use the half without the pit).
*TIP: Spread a little olive oil on the unused half of the avocado and put it in an airtight container to store. This will keep the avocado fresh for about a week.
- Spread the avocado onto the toast. Use a fork to mash it easily.
- Sprinkle salt, pepper and red pepper flakes on toast as desired.
- Top the toast with the poached egg.
What’s your favorite healthy breakfast? Let us know in the comments!
If so, subscribe now for tips on home, money, and life delivered straight to your inbox.