While the Detroit Tigers are off playing away games, the city of Detroit is welcoming fun and games on our own turf.
Head downtown July 23-28 and check out the transformation taking place in the Motor City. It’s definitely one of those weeks that make you feel good about being in the city of Detroit.
There are some big things going on, and you won’t have to look any further – we put all the details together for you.
The Inaugural Live Downtown Games
The inaugural Live Downtown Games are a celebration of the one-year anniversary of the Live Downtown incentive. The incentive is a five-year, $4 million program involving Quicken Loans, Blue Cross Blue Shield of Michigan, Compuware, DTE Energy and Strategic Staffing Solutions that provides cash incentives to employees who choose to move to downtown Detroit to live where they work and play.
The Live Downtown Games are a series of competitions between these five companies. Starting with a massive food drive for Forgotten Harvest, which took place from July 16-20, the companies are now moving on to the actual games. Starting Monday, all five companies will produce teams for an obstacle course race, a volleyball tournament, a Detroit-themed canned food art competition (utilizing the food brought in by all of the companies, which will be donated to Forgotten Harvest), field day events, and a Detroit-themed trivia competition. The participants of each event earn points for their company, which at the end of the week will be totaled to determine the champion.
The events will be located at a variety of downtown Detroit locations: Campus Martius Park, the Compuware Building, DTE Energy’s campus, Fountain Bistro and Bookies Bar and Grille.
In addition to the competitive events, Anchor Bar, Golden Fleece, Grand Trunk Pub, Tom’s Oyster Bar and Vicente’s Cuban Cuisine are keeping track of how many team members from each company visit on Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday nights. When team members from the five participating companies visit the restaurants, or any of the other events, they earn points for their company.
The Return of Somerset Collection CityLoft and Downtown Detroit Days
Fresh off its success during this year’s first appearance June 28-30, CityLoft is bringing an even bigger bang to downtown Detroit July 26-28 from 11 a.m. – 7 p.m.
Also joining CityLoft to create a hub of retail on Woodward Avenue is Downtown Detroit Days (DDD)!
Inspired by the original event, which began in the 1950s, DDD will once again transform the site of the old J.L. Hudson’s building into a vibrant marketplace featuring the best Detroit and Michigan-based brands. Local artists and entertainers will be on hand to help make the experience even more exciting.
What’s the same:
- 40+ shops bringing retail to Woodward Avenue
- FREE transportation to and from Somerset Collection in Troy
- An unforgettable atmosphere
- Free shuttles from 11 a.m. – 2 p.m. on Thursday & Friday at the RenCen, Wayne State University and Blue Cross Blue Shield.
- Vendors such as Tiffany’s, Emporio Armani, BCBG, Zeiben-Mare, and MORE
- The return of the original CityLoft space (1441 Woodward Avenue) with even more shopping
- Umbrella tables to make the space more inviting
- Food vendors that will get the locals and downtown workers ALL excited
- An appearance by the Detroit Police Band, the Blue Pigs!
The experience is distinctly Detroit. Come downtown, visit your favorite Somerset Collection shops, and find a new local favorite! By doing your shopping at CityLoft and Downtown Detroit Days, you are helping to show a demand for retail in the city of Detroit. Help us continue the transformation!
Free Summer Events in Campus Martius Park
Campus Martius is making a strong statement this summer, supporting its growing reputation as one of the best public spaces in the country.
The park has a tremendous summer lineup, including free events, concerts, movies and more.
Thursday, July 26: Huntington Bank’s Sunset in the City Thursdays
- Detroit Symphony Orchestra Chamber
- Detroit Blues singer Thornetta Davis
Friday, July 27: Quicken Loans 4th Fridays in the Park!
- Mid-day Music Series
- Detroit Jazz Festival Community Series Presents THE J.C HEARD JAZZWEEK@WAYNE
- Visual Arts presented by 323 East
- Happy Hour presented by REAL DETROIT
- Live DJ Mix
- RUNWAY FASHION SHOW presented by Somerset Collection
- “Stand Up in Detroit” featuring the comedy of Zach Martina, John Jorid, Jeff Scheen, and special guests
- Performance by FLASHCLASH
- Campus Martius Park Vocal Competition Finals
- Performance by Saves the Day
- Visit the always-popular Eastern Market on Tuesday July 24 and Saturday morning, July 28
- Catch “Ernie” at the City Theatre on Thursday night (July 26)
- Teen pop quartet Mindless Behavior performs at the Fox Theatre on Thursday night (July 26)
- Check out Rip The Runway, Detroit Style at the Fillmore Thursday night (July 26)
- Ace Frehley will be Rockin’ on The RiverFront on Friday night (July 27)
- Jimmy Buffett plays Comerica Park Saturday night (July 28)
- Ledisi and Eric Benet perform at Chene Park Saturday night (July 28)
We’ll see you in Detroit!!
If so, subscribe now for tips on home, money, and life delivered straight to your inbox.