Great guest post from Martin Michalek of dPOP!, a design and facilities management leader in downtown Detroit. Martin, the Professional Scribbler at dPOP!, tells a special story of two guys who return to dPOP!'s headquarters and take a long trip down memory lane. Enjoy.
A few months ago, team members of the Quicken Loans family of companies were challenged to “[de-fine] Detroit” through art and performance, leading to a creative competition that took place August 23 at the M@dison building in Detroit.
I was one of 15 team members (known as “definers”)who presented a personal vision and definition of Detroit in front of 150 peers, family and friends. The scene was set: artwork was displayed on easels and along the windows, while formal presentations were given in the auditorium. Delicious hors d’oeuvres and beverages made mingling around the exhibits fun and chic.
The definers illustrated their vision through Powerpoint presentations, song, video and photography. In addition, Lawrence Technological University’s detroitSHOP Studio students, ROSSETTI team members, and one University of Detroit Mercy student participated by showing how they want to “re-define” Detroit.
While there were great submissions from all participants, there could only be three top-prize winners, each of whom received a cash prize and choice of Detroit-themed gift cards:
First Prize: Tamara Brown, Title Source -“D-Tour” rap
Second Prize: Adriel Valazquez, Title Source, “A Detroit Life”
Third Prize: Jennifer Rogers, One Reverse Mortgage, “The Journey from Outsourced to Optimism”
The evening was emceed by Kelly Deines, Principal and Director of Creative Design at ROSSETTI, and judged by Matt Cullen, President & CEO, Rock Ventures, Dave Garant, Quicken Loans Creative Director, Amy Deines, Chair of Art & Design, Lawrence Technological University, and Matt Rossetti, President, ROSSETTI.
Congratulations to the winners and hats off to all of the entrants for sharing their time and talent to help [de-fine] Detroit:
· Victoria Araj, Quicken Loans, 3-Part Photo Collage on Canvas
· Nicole Conley, Title Source, Writing
· Brandy Hooten, Title Source, Photography
· Janice Horvath, Quicken Loans, PowerPoint Photo Presentation
· Sean Hunter, Quicken Loans, Photography
· Jaclyn Millard, Quicken Loans, Mixed Media Collage
· Jamie Perry, Title Source, Photography & Website
· Lutalo Sanifu, Title Source, Song & Video
· Andrea Seal, Quicken Loans, Photography
· Dana Staniec, Quicken Loans, 2 Mixed Media Canvases
· Veronica White, Title Source, Video
· Melissa Whitlow, Quicken Loans, Powerpoint Presentation
Their submissions will be showcased in a variety of ways in the coming months, including displays in the downtown offices of Quicken Loans and Rock Ventures.
How do YOU define Detroit?